For months and months, I have been wondering "What in the world should I major in?". I kept asking myself over and over again, 'what talents do i have?' or 'what do I want to do with my life?'. My head was in a mess and I just could not decide on what I truly want. And now, I am writing this post trying to find the answers to this questions.
It's such a wonder to me how you could have the world in your hand, literally, even on your own bed and all you need is a laptop and Internet. The wonders of Google. These past few days I have been thinking, and of course googling, a lot of careers and success stories of people. Read their posts, blogs, and youtube videos to try and help myself make a decision that I would stick through. I love reading horoscopes because I think that they are amusing and most of the time spot on, I tried searching the net for career choices that would suit a Gemini like me.
Gemini's as most people have said, and I completely agree, are social butterflies who live on communication and relationships. I reckon that a gemini is like a bird in fancy clothing, the need to be 'in' is the same as breathing. I came across this website that listed down the top ten careers that would suit the Geminians.
![]() |
| image from ATChina |
I also attended Sergio Ontuca Summer Journalism Workshop for about 4 summers, and in luck won myself a few competitions for various areas but the thing that I loved the most was Radio Broadcasting. It was just too good for words.
Come high school years, I still continued doing journalism, writing for the school paper occasionally although I was not an official member of it and the thing that I would never every forget was the day that I wrote for the yearbook of my graduating class. That was really memorable and unforgettable.
I really loved writing and do it as a hobby but as years passed I kind of forgot about it because life happened, I did not previously consider being a journalist despite my passion for it because in the Philippines, there is just no money in journalism and for some reason, journalists get killed. It's a sad reality that I chose not to face. But now, that I am in a different country with a different culture with lots of opportunities to be explored, I think that I could now put my foot forward and face this reality.
The market out there is tough and competition for this type of career is insane but now that I think of it, I could not imagine myself anywhere else or being someone someone who is stuck in the same four walls of the office everyday. Now, I think I could have a better image of myself in the future and really excited about it. I see myself in casual clothes with a laptop and a dslr always on the go with a phone that constantly rings.
As much as this sounds like a Devil Wears Prada, I have come to realise a dream that has been lost a long the way. I can now tell myself what I want to achieve although there might be obstacles and hardships to face.
The four things that I would like to achieve in the next 5 years:
1) Pack my bags after graduation, move to Sydney, the land of opportunities and say goodbye to Perth as much as I love it for a better life and career.
2) Be an intern at Vogue and use this as a pathway to being a permanent columnist for the magazine
3) Feature fashion shows in different countries with Paris topping the list
4) Work for ViVi, a japanese fashion magazine as a columnist or as an assistant
Now that I have a clear cut goal set on stone, I think I will be able to bring up my game and face the world regardless of what my peers say about my career choices or how impractical it is, I can finally say that this is a dream that I would be willing to make sacrifices for in order to achieve and that no great dream comes easy nor does it fall on your lap waiting for you to grab hold of it.
For people who are still confused on what to take, I suggest that, having been there my self about half an hour ago, ask yourself, 'what do you love to do?' there you will find the answers, it might be a childhood dream that you have forgotten just like mine or a secret passion that you love to do. Do not be afraid to take chances, because if it is for something you truly love it will be worth it.
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"
~Lao Tzu
Never be afraid to go on a an adventure, because life itself is a journey with no turning back and it's just up to yourself to make this journey worth while.
Signing off,
Ly :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment